Monday, October 31, 2022

Hitched & Cocked


'Fear isn't so difficult to understand. After all, weren't we all frightened as children? Nothing has changed since Little Red Riding Hood faced the big bad wolf. What frightens us today is exactly the same sort of thing that frightened us yesterday. It's just a different wolf. This fright complex is rooted in every individual.'
Alfred Hitchcock 


Some FH readers may remember that I wrote about my previous hesitation to watching classic motion pictures.  Then, anything before the 1980's was 'old' and for many years, I avoided pretty much any movie that wasn't a new release. Torture back then would have been having to watching something in...ugh, black and white!


Thankfully, I've overcome that silly bias.  Thanks in part to FH, and some friends who've made some great recommendations, TCM has become one of my favorite channels and classic movies, with class film stars, are always on my television menu.  Today, I'd rather watch a classic film I know I'll enjoy, than the endless stream of forgettable new releases.  

At Halloween, it's all about classic terror.  The Haunting, (1963) The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, (1947) Rosemary's Baby, (1968) and so many other classic, campy and corny horror flicks from the 1970's and 1980's.   It also means a return to the iconic films of the master of suspense, director Alfred Hitchcock.


I did, thanks to my parents, see a bit of classic Hitchcock when I was a kid, but never watched one his film, all the way through, until I got older.  Today, most Halloween's mean a viewing, even partial, of some of my favorite Hitchcock classics.  My favorites include the most well known; Rear Window, The Birds and Psycho, as well as films including; Rope, Strangers on a Train, The Man Who Knew Too Much, North by Northwest, I Confess and The Trouble With Harry. 


There are certainly other Hitchcock films I enjoy not listed above, but those are the ones I usually re-watch when I see that they are listed.  Hitchcock films often begin strong and stall in the middle, so watching just the first half, or part of the film, can be as enjoyable as watching the entire film.


This Halloween season, with the FH focus being on the movies, I knew that Hitchcock's films has to mark the climax of the Halloween season.  over the next few pages, celebrate Hitchcocktober with a look back at some of Hitchcock's classic films and moments and a bevy of Hitchcockian hunks, 

Some of my favorite model's and photographers also share their own visual interpretations of many of Hitchcock's films, with the focus of course, being on the male form. Check them out on the next TWO PAGES HERE: & HERE:

Kicking off the celebration are these original artistic interpretations, from artist badsign769 of an iconic trifecta of Hitchockican horror.

Check out much more Halloween inspired artwork from badsign769 on Instagram HERE:

No comments: