Saturday, February 18, 2023

Nick Zano: Sitcom Shirtlessness

There is a specific sexiness to sitcom shirtlessness.  In part, because it's generally rare.  If you think of some of the most well known sitcoms, there wasn't really a whole of of male skin.  In the 2000's however, when more female driven sitcoms were on the air, there were more opportunities to cast male actors to flash a little skin.

What I Like About You

With a single male lead, (think Seinfeld) the casting directors were busy casting funny and hot young actress's to play Jerry's girlfriend of the week.  With a change to more female lead sitcoms, (think Mom, Two Broke Girls) the roles were reversed, and funny hot hunks were needed for guest starring roles.

Two Broke Girls

Some FH readers might recall I struggle with occasional insomnia.  My usual method to deal with struggles sleeping is not a pill but a sitcom that I can drowse off to.  I don't want a show that requires too much concentration, but a show that easy to watch, and helps slides me into sleep. 

Recently I returned to Cougar Town.  I watched the show off and on during it's original run, but forgotten how good it actually was.  Courtney Cox is really good and the supporting actors were all really well cast.  I'm even tolerating Busy Phillips, an actress who usually annoys the shot out of me.  I think the show would have even been more popular with a better tittle. I think Cougar Town pigeonholed the series into a theme that was really only a small part of the make-up and theme of the series.

Cougar Town (2009)

The 'Cougar' aspect of the show was really only played on in the first season, with Jules (Cox) dating some  younger guys on the heels of her divorce.  In the shows first 10 episodes, the hot younger guy in question was Josh played with shirtless deliciousness by actor Nick Zano.  When I watched the show the first time, I don't really even remember Zano, my original crush was actor Josh Hopkins.  

This time around, I was wishing that Josh had stuck around longer, delaying the eventual hook up of Jules and Grayson. (Hopkins) Zano was great in the role, and his character had so much potential. I know Zano has had some more recently shirtlessness on shows like DC's Legends of Tomorrow, but my introduction to Zano was in 2009's The Final Destination.  I think he was at his hottest during his time on Cougar Town, and other sitcom shirtless scenes on Mom and Two Broke Girls



No comments: