Friday, March 10, 2023

BOYS TOWN


'I had a period when I was sixteen where I started to get a big head. I was going through puberty, and I was nominated for an Academy Award. My head got inflated. My friends were the real ones who said, 'You're acting different.' But the truth is that I don't need that, because I don't get out of hand.'
Leonardo DiCaprio

Above: Tim Roth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew McConaughey, Benicio Del Toro, Michael Rapaport, Stephen Dorff, Johnathon Schaech, David Arquette, Will Smith, and Skeet Ulrich.

DiCaprio


Del Toro

Anyone who follows the Academy Awards, knows that one of the signs the award show is close, is the annual Hollywood issue of Vanity Fair.  Full of stories about the starts and incredible images from photographer Annie leibovitz, the annual issue was released every year, usually in March to coincide with the Oscar's. 

Dorff

I bought the issue every year, including picking up the most recent edition last week.  Although the issues have gotten smaller, the images fewer, and  celebrity and Hollywood back stories not as in depth, I still look forward to seeing who's in it, and who is on the cover.  I used to think all of the stars on the fold out cover got together for the cover shoot.  It was disappointing to learn that they were shot at different times, sometimes in small groups, sometimes alone, then edited together for the final shot.

Rapaport in The Naked Man (1998)

This year's issue didn't have much meat in regards to articles, but as always, I did love Annie leibovitz's work, especially her shots of Jonathan Majors, Jeremy Allen White and Aaron Taylor Johnson.

Roth

One of my favorite Hollywood issues of Vanity Fair was the 1996 BOYS TOWN edition.  The cover featured 10 of Hollywood's hottest properties, with Tim Roth, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matthew McConaughey on the front part of the cover.  

Schaech



When I was recently looking at the cover, I realized that I've covered, and uncovered, almost everyone of the actors on the cover.  I think the only exception was actor Benicio Del Toro, who I don't believe had done any on-screen nudity.  Some were featured in small posts or in the daily birthdays.  Others had larger features, or were spotlighted with an Actors & SKIN.   Here are some of my favorite shots of 9 of the 10 actors on the cover.  

Arquette

Ulrich

Ulrich in Touch (1997)

McConaughey in Magic Mike (2012)

No comments: