Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Gabriel LaBelle: Role Reversal


Before the Oscars aired last month, I tried my damnedest to watch as many of the nominated films as possible.  I didn't quite make it, but I did manage to squeeze in four before the night of the awards.  One I was actually surprised I enjoyed so much was Steven Spielberg's The Fabelmans.


I was surprised as although I love Spielberg, the story didn't really engage me, or draw me to want to watch the film.  I started watching, thinking I'd stop after a short while, but the performance kept me watching, and enjoying, until the end.  It's wasn't Michelle Williams though, I actually watched in spite of her.  Don't get me wrong, I respect her talent and Williams and her character was my favorite on Dawson's Creek.


I haven't however, really enjoyed much of her work since the WB teen drama ended.  She been in some great projects, but there's something about her on screen that I haven't enjoyed.  Her blunt bangs in The Fabelmans didn't help.  I know, I know, such a small thing should not have bothered me, but every time she was on screen those bangs bugged the shit out of me.


I was drawn in mostly due to the performance of actor Gabriel LaBelle.  Labelle played Sammy, the young Spielberg in the film and his screen presence was palatable.  I actually enjoyed Sammy's scenes with his dad, (Paul Dano) more than the relationship the movie seemed to pushing which was between Sammy and his mom.



American Gigolo 

After watching the film, I did a quick IMDB search and was surprised to see that I'd recently seen LaBelle taking on a very different role.  I can't believe I didn't connect it was the same actor who played a young Julian Kaye in the HBO remake of American Gigolo.   


LaBelle was equally compelling as a male prostitute in training in the first few episodes in Season 1.  Although a little dark,  I actually enjoyed most of the first season, especially the first few episodes. It's too bad it was cancelled so quickly.

1 comment:

JiEL said...

As I suspected and checking on IMDB, Gabriel was born in Vancouver BC Canada in 2002.
The name «Labelle» is a French Canadian name that is why I wanted to see if he was so.

We write Labelle here and not LaBelle. Gabriel is the same in French.

Friendly yours from Montreal.