Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Getting Down to Business: Alex L by Jack Saul Photography


' The bottomless images were an idea I think we both liked.'


I've always liked images of models posing bottomless.  I hadn't heard however, that wearing a shirt or coat, without any pants, was inspired by a famous cartoon duck.  It was photographer Andrew Bowman who in a post featuring models in winter sweaters, without pants, (HERE:) first introduced me to the 'Donald Duck' shot.


Photographer Jack Saul didn't intend to shoot Alex in a striped shirt, minus his pants, but the shots occurred organically in the moment.  Alex was running late, and showed up to the shoot in a suit, dress shirt and tie.  Alex had just left a business meeting and didn't have time to change before he was scheduled to meet up with Jack.

As Alex was undressing, Jack decided it would be a good idea to incorporate Alex's striped dress shirt into the shoot.  Earlier this summer, I featured Jack's work with another Alex, Alex K. (HERE:)  This Alex, is Alex L.  Originally, I was going to put the two Alex's together, and compare different looks and poses.  Ultimately, I liked both shoots, and wanted to give each of the Alex's their turn in the spotlight.


This was Alex L's second time shooting nudes, but Jack shares that was very comfortable in front of the camera and a breeze to work with.  As beautiful as his body is, I was especially drawn to Alex's face, and his contrasting features.  Despite having a baby face, the 22 year old Alex, has beautiful eyes, with an old vibe, expressing both both an innocence, and a confidence and maturity.


How did you first connect with Alex? 
Alex contacted me as a follower on Instagram, we had briefly spoken via a modelling site some time beforehand but Alex wasn't living in London at that time. 

Do you remember who contacted who first? 
Alex contacted me, he had done one nude shoot previously and was keen to expand his portfolio 


What were your first impressions of his look? 
Intrigued by his very youthful facial appearance (he's 22) coupled with a very articulate and mature way of expressing himself 

Did you see nude images prior to scheduling a shoot? 
No. I never ask and only a handful of models volunteer them 

Had Alex posed nude before? 
Just once I believe 


Did you talk about shot lists or concepts? 
No, out of nearly 200 photoshoots I've only ever used a preconceived shot list or concept a very small number of times. Although I had used the space we were in before, so had a rough framework of suggestions that we could base things from. 


Did Alex have anything he wanted to achieve with the shoot? 
I think it was mostly about gaining confidence and building more experience with his modelling. 

Did he have any boundaries as to what you could or could not shoot? 
Not that I can recall, no. It wasn't intended as an erotic-style shoot, so that wasn't discussed and anything along those lines visible in the photoset just occurred naturally & unintentionally. 


Was there much talk during the shoot, was it mostly work focused, or was he chatty? 
I always try to keep the vibe as relaxed and chatty as possible. With some models nerves van make them freeze up a bit so I might resort to putting the radio or tv on to give them something to focus on but I don't recall that happening with Alex. 


What was Alex like to work with, did he require much direction? 
The shoot didn't really require specific direction I gave him suggestions at the start and I think that helped get him in a natural rhythm with it. 

Curious of Alex brought the striped shirt? 
I liked the look of the shirt and no pants in some of the shots. Alex had just come from a business meeting, so was much more formally dressed than usual. It seemed to work fairly well though and the bottomless images were an idea I think we both liked. 


Any other thoughts, comments on the shoot? 
I'm still in contact with Alex and there is a possibility of a follow-up shoot at some point in the future. He likes the idea of maybe doing a duo shoot.


Jack Saul on Instagram

No comments: