Wednesday, September 6, 2023

It's Not Unusual...


When I was growing up in the eighties and nineties, my parents went out almost ever Saturday night.  They went to the movies, but usually to a house or card party.  My dad, often went out alone, or with friends.  To play golf, to a bar or club with his friends.  My mom, hardly ever went out without my father, except for concerts.


I remember those nights as it was rare to be home with my siblings with only my father.  Those were night we had TV dinners, or ordered a pizza.  I remember my mother going to see Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Cher and Tom Jones.   I knew who Kenny, Dolly and Cher were, but I had no idea who Tom Jones was.  After listening to my mother and her friends giggling about women throwing underwear on the stage, I soon learned a little about Mr. Jones.


As a kid, I remember thinking Jones was disgusting.  I thought his hairy chest and body were ugly, and saw nothing remotely attractive about look, or his voice.  I have a theory that there are just some men who are more attractive to women that to gay men.  Of course there are exceptions, but there are some actors, think Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck, who seem to attract a lot of lusty ladies, but fewer throngs of gay fans pulling them into their fantasies and dreams.  I think Tom Jones is one of those men.


Over the last few years however, I've been looking at the singing idol a bit differently.  It started with Glee.  Remember when Blaine, (Darren Criss) sang 'It's Not Unusual' on the school's outside stairs?  Then, there's all those videos of Tom as host on the UK version of The Voice.  There's one with Tom singing It's A Man's World with Jennifer Hudson, (HERE:) that makes it way regularly on Twitter.  I don't know why it took me so long to realize the man has an incredible voice and yes... his talent makes him incredibly hot.  Consider my panties thrown. 

No comments: