Friday, October 13, 2023

Horror Hunks: Robert Knepper in Dead of Night



'As a vampire searches for his deceased wife, a homicide detective is hot on his trail.'


This piece didn't start out as a Horror Hunk post, but it did start out with a murder.  This past summer, I did a story about finding repeats of Murder She Wrote on one of my retro channels, and how many talented young actors appeared on the show. (HERE:)  This piece began after spoting a spectacle wearing hottie at the beginning of the season 12 episode, Something Foul in Flappieville.


The episode opened late at night with the hottie in the glasses sitting in his car watching a couple come out of their house.  I was immediately struck by the actors beautiful facial structure, and wondered who it was.  Turns out it was actor Robert Knepper, who I was first introduced to during his time as Theodore 'T-Bag' Bagwell on show Prison Break.


Originally from Ohio, Knepper was introduced to theatre early due to his mother's job as a prop-handler at a local community theatre.  After graduating High School, he began getting professional theatre roles while attending Northwestern University at the same time.  Knepper ended up leaving Northwestern before graduating to move to New York where he continued to pursue his passion for theatre. 


Although acting in film and television wasn't his goal, he landed his first TV role in a 1986 episode of the The Paper Chase.  From then on, Knepper continued to work steadily on both television and in films.  1996 was an especially busy year for Knepper with close to a dozen film and television credits.  One of those roles, was that of Christian in the Vampire horror film, Dead of Night.


Dead of Night (1996)

After seeing Knepper on Murder She Wrote, I began searching to see if he'd ever done an on-screen nude scene.  Initially, I only found one, a butt scene in a 2011 episode of Homeland.  A deeper dive, led me to his role in Dead of Night.  It was hard to find a copy as there are a slew of movies with the same title.  I believe the 1996 version only had a VHS release, and I'm not sure there's an HD copy available.  


Thankfully I did find a copy, and really liked the film.  Although Knepper had several love scenes in which he was nude, they were all frustratingly shot.  The focus as usual, was on the female form, and all of the shots of Knepper's butt were quick flashes and most badly, or overly lit.  I did the best I could with the copy I had, but did want to include them as this scene occurred when Knepper was in his 30's, and I had not heard about it until taking a deep dive into his career. 



No comments: