Friday, November 10, 2023

Picket Whines


The SAG-AFTRA strike ended this week, so actors, those with job, will soon be going back to work.  As much as I support the actors and the issues they were fighting for, (residuals, AI issues) I wonder if there were any lessons learned.  I love my entertainment, but during this strike, there was little to nothing I really cared about missing.  The main network show I watch, Survivor, stayed in production.  although I occasionally watch a couple of network sit-coms, I wasn't passionate enough about any of them to care very much.

I do watch shows on streaming, but I'm so far behind in my watching, I still have hours and hours to catch up on.   In addition, some streaming shows take so long, sometimes years, between seasons, that a six month delay isn't that big a deal.  Think of Stranger Things, the third season aired in 2019, and the forth season didn't premiere until 2022. 


  I really noticed a lot of whining from so many actors, and I'm not talking about the issues.  I'm talking about them whining about other actors, and judging the behavior of others in their own guild.  I mentioned a red haired actress from Abbott Elementary who was publicly critical of others actors not as 'passionate' about union issues as she was. From soap operas to Halloween costumes, she always had something to say, most of it, in a disrespectful way. 

I think of Stephen Amell, who got lambasted for his views early in the strike.  Unlike the actress from Abbott, Amell didn't have a job he could count on to go back to.  The second season of Heels was just released, and am sure he wanted to promote it to help ensure a season three.  He didn't get to, and the show was cancelled.  I'm not sure if the strike had anything to do with it, but it may have played a part in the decision. Amell has made a lot of money, so no tears for him, but I'm sure there were many who worked on Heels, who are barely getting by, and really needed a season 3 to support themselves and their family. The whining and complaining of some high profile actors really had me caring less about the outcome.  Then of course, I remembered the strike wasn't about them, but the thousands of actors barely making a living.  Too bad many A and B listers didn't get that memo. 

Alain Delon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m really confused about your comments here. You disparage A- and B- list actors for making the strikes about them, but these actors are often the ones saying this strike was for everyone who hasn’t been as fortunate as them. Lisa Ann Walter from Abbott Elementary specifically said “this is for the people that can’t negotiate a contract, for the background artists, the basic wage earner in stunts, in dance, in acting and all of it” which feels in line with how you end your reflection. So why is she a target of your ire while actors like Amell, who spent nearly a decade starring on multiple network television shows, is shown sympathy for not supporting his fellow actors in their fight?

Tye said...

I understand your points. Maybe Amell wasn't a great example, but I also didn't necessarily see his comments as unsupportive, just offered views that many in the union did not support.

My point was to ask why actors such as LAW were constantly attacking others in her own union, all of whom, IMO, didn't have the same safety net, (A hugely successful network sit-com) to return to. There were several actors who didn't tow the union lines completely, and most had to apologize, or clarify their words. From Amell, to soap writers, to Halloween costumes, LAW always had something critical to say. I felt it very negative, and not helpful.

She too could have been criticized for appearing on game shows during the strike, permitted yet, but still providing networks new content. I just felt given her privileged position being on Abbot Elementary, she wasn't always supportive to a group she and others said they were fighting for.