Sunday, January 28, 2024

Pondering A Procedural


I don't usually watch procedurals.  Sure, I've seen a handful of Law & Order, and Law & Order SVU over the years, usually when home on a sick day.  Procedurals are on 24/7 on cable, so anyone with a television knows they can be almost impossible to avoid.  All of the networks also have dozens on their prime-time schedule.


I don't just not watch them, I actively dislike them.  First off, because of their predominance.  Every CSI, 911, Chicago (whatever) and Law & Order have multiple sequels.  It's so lazy.  They're ratings getters for sure, but they also show a lack of creativity.  I also hate the violence.  Sure, I watch violence on television, all the time,, but procedurals are different.


You can just imagine the writers room is full of people pitching new and extreme ways to maim, murder, rape and torture a person to bring ratings and attention to their show.  Janet Jackson's nipple still riles up a population of puritans,  but tying a woman up in a barn, to then rape, then kill, is fine if it's done violently enough on a procedural.


 Law & Order Toronto cast

I may give one a try however, when Law and Order Toronto: Criminal Intent premieres next month.  First off, If I remember the Criminal Intent edition of the US version showed less violent, and the crimes were more implied through dialogue.  Secondly, it's Canada's first venture into the franchise, and I really like the cast they've pulled together.

Russell Crow, Young & Simon Baker

Law and Order Toronto: Criminal Intent will showcase original Canadian stories written and produced by, and starring, Canadians.  I would watch actress Karen Robinson in anything.  Sure I wish it was her Schitt's Creek character Ronnie getting a spin-off, but I'll check her out as Inspector Vivienne Holness. I've also been a long-time fan of actor Aden Young who plays Detective Sergeant Henry Graff in the series.

Rectify (2013-2019)

The Ontario born Young has been working steadily since the early 1990's in Canadian, Australian and American based film and television shows.  Some of you may remember Young from his roles in shows including: The Starter Wife, Black Robe, Reckoning, and his role on the drama Rectify. Young also had several nude scenes during his time on Rectify.


Love in Limbo (1993)

I think I first saw Young on screen in the 1990's when he had nude scenes in the film 'Cousin Bette' and the Australian comedy film Love in Limbo.   Young co-starred with Russell Crowe in the film and it also marked the actor's first official on-screen nude scene.  Thanks to xyzpdq for the clip!

No comments: