Sunday, March 3, 2024

Blast from the Past: Douglas Sheehan


Over the past year or so, I've had a few signs that it was time to feature actor Douglas Sheehan on the site.  I think the first one was last spring when actress Jacklyn Zeman died.  In some of the articles surrounding her death, there were images of her and Douglass from his time as her love interest on General Hospital.    I was way too young to remember him on the show, but I do remember seeing images of him in soap and television magazines when I got older. 


The second sign came last month, after deciding to do a look back at all of the editions of Battle of the Network Stars.  During my research, I found some shots of the actor donning just a black speedo.  If there was a third sign, it's my desire to watch more of the prime-time soap Knots Landing.  I've only seen a handful episodes beyond the first two seasons which were released on DVD.  None of the episodes I saw included the time when Doug played Ben on the series.


I always thought Doug was really handsome, but the only show I've really watched him on was the short-lived sit-com Day by Day.   The show only lasted 33 episodes, but is known as one of the many shows blessed by having Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the cast.  I also had a big crush on Christopher Daniel Barnes who played Doug's son. 


Although he appeared to work steadily throughout the his time in Hollywood, and post Knots Landing, Sheehan's last official credit was a short stint on Sabrina The Teenage Witch over 20 years ago.  It seems that Doug left Hollywood, and moved to Wyoming where he started a theatre company.  According to a few sources, he's been working in local theatre writing and directing since.   


If you Google 'Doug Sheehan today', there's a recent shot of Doug, now in his seventies, still looking handsome standing on a stage during a rehearsal.   Doug never did any on-screen nudity, but I found a few shirtless shots in my search.


Day by Day


Battle of the Network Stars

Knots Landing

No comments: