Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Howard Nelson: A Vintage Vantage


When I was younger, I could never get into British comedy.  My mother used to like watching British sit-coms on PBS and my dad and older brothers liked Monty Python and other British comedians and movies.  I think the only British made comedy I enjoyed and laughed at was Mr. Bean, and that was probably be because there little to no dialogue in most of the episodes.


I do have memories of one of my older brothers staying up late to watch those 'Carry On' movies when they'd air on cable or satellite.   I'm pretty sure it was because of all the boobs, but I didn't watch.  In part, I had no interest, but also, because my older brother usually kicked me out of the rec room when they came on.

I've overcome my dislike of British comedies, so much so, some of my favorite movies and television shows are now British made shows.  I still haven't warmed to the Carry On series, but I did recently catch part of 1978's Carry on Emmannuelle.  I was drawn to watch the film because I'd read there was male nudity, and indeed, there were a few scenes of male skin, mostly for comedic value.  The actor I was most drawn to however, didn't appear nude in the film, but did wear his skimpy posing pouch.

Carry on Emmannuelle

The character was a body builder named Harry Hernia, and he was played by real life British body builder Howard Nelson.  The ex-champion bodybuilder turned to acting and  was usually cast as the 'heavy' or the 'bad guy' due his muscular body.  Nelson was often hired by his friend George Harrison Marks who was a photographer in the sex industry in the 1950's.  Marks moved to directing, and directed dozens of sex comedies from the 1960's through the 1990's.


In addition to the sex comedies, Marks also made some hardcore flicks, that he also hired Nelson to appear in.  As late as the mid-eighties, Nelson appeared in titles including 'Duty Free', a hardcore farce set in an customs office.  I haven't been able to find any of these films, but I'm still looking!  Nelson was often uncredited in these films, and wore elaborate disguises and dark glasses in order to cover his distinctive face, and so not to be recognized.


I did find a rather 'innocent' nude scene in the 1977 comedy, Come Play With Me.  Again, Nelson is not credited, but appears as 'the man getting massaged' in I believe just one scene.  There are plenty of views of his muscular backside, and a quick frontal when his tiny briefs are being pulled off.

Come Play With Me

If you watch the clip below til the end, there's also a few seconds of a few extras, (not Nelson) jumping naked into the water during a pool party.

No comments: