Friday, March 23, 2012

Speaking Your Mind



''Homosexuality was well known in the ancient world, well before Christ was born and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things -– he never said that gay people should be condemned.'
Jimmy Carter

I have zero memories of Jimmy Carter as President, I as just a baby at the time. I do however remember his name, his time in office, being mocked by members of my family and the media. I think the first time I became politically aware was in high school, maybe at around 15 or 16. Before then, my head was kind of in the clouds, mostly playing out fantasy without a real focus on reality.

Ideally, politicians should tell the public what they believe, then voters decided who they most like and support. Instead, those running for office today, determine what people want to hear, then cater their views in an attempt to obtain the most support. I am not sure there are any current politicians being totally honest with voters, maybe it is not really possible. Rarely does someone actually say something that has not been exhaustively researched to determine public reaction.



I certainly have not agreed with everything Carter has said nor everything he has done. But my agreement is really not that important. What I do like about the man is that in a time when so many in the public eye try to please and appease us, more than actually respect us, his views are clear. Like them or hate them you know where he stands. The rarity of this today is frightening.

Jimmy Carter quote Source:

3 comments:

Mark Leighton said...

I totally agree with you Tye. However, it is worth pointing out that when no longer running for office, (ex) politicians can feel more free to speak their mind, regardless of what the spin doctors advise.

DavidAsset said...

I love the Jimmy Carter quote about Jesus. It's something I never told about but it's so true. Jesus NEVER preached against homosexuality and yes, it's been around for centuries. That's a great answer to all those who like to quote the Bible as their anti-gay source.

Anonymous said...

(Allowing a few years to pass before deciding on our current prez,)I believe that Jimmy Carter is the only good, moral man that has filled the office of president in at least 50 years. Not talking about his term in office but rather his character as a man.
Maybe that makes me a judgemental prick, IDK. - Shane