Friday, May 25, 2012

Bitch Slap:



I don't want to label him homophobic as I don't really know. In fact, he recently voiced his support for gay marriage while promoting his newest film.



But... Going all the way back to his sit-com days and especially through his role of Paul in Six Degree's, there have been stories about his uncomfortably with men who love men. I think most actors would have given the push, as he did with the reporter. I am not sure most actors would have then went for the Alexis Colby style slap. Ironic, no?



I have always found the whole Smith family rather Stepford like, as with the Travolta's and the Cruise clans there is something about the families that doesn't quite ring true. If it were any other actor I think this would have been a non-story, but this has a bit of a history. I remember the brief but tense moment during the Tony Awards when Douglas Hodge tried to sit on his lap during a Tony Award performance from La Cage Aux Folles. Like the slap, AWKWARD... The reaction seemed more one of worry, maybe of connection, than one of someone taking offense...

No comments: