Friday, March 23, 2018

Richard Rothstein A Spring Nor’easter


Winter Storm Toby, the fourth Nor’easter in less than three weeks, covered the storm-ravaged East Coast with a fresh blanket of snow just in time for the start of spring.


For many, picturesque snowy New York scenes are the stuff dreams are made of. Quiet streets of snowy silence as a blizzard forces a speedy city to slow down. But... those dreams for most are December, maybe January dreams, by late March, most consider a spring Nor’easter more of a nightmare...


Not me, despite shoveling more last night and this morning than I did all winter, this late winter storm was a welcome visitor. This past winter, though cold, was most absent of major snowfalls, so it was nice to get my fix before the crocus pop through. For Richard Rothstein, it was a last opportunity to have his Manhattan studio blanketed in white, one last opportunity to coerce a model to drop trou while the cold, wind and snow whip around them.


Some how, despite the freezing temperatures, I don't think Richard had to do much coercing to have Sergey slip off his jeans. Even with the cold, and out on the public city streets, if you've seen my previous pieces featuring Richard's work with Sergey, you might detect that neither snow, sleet or possible passerbyers would be a deterrent. In fact, I think they would only add to the shoot's energy and excitement.


Although it is a winter wonderland around my home, and I am all shoveled out, I am thinking with April just around the corner, this weeks storm was a beautiful goodbye to the season. Now I am sure there will be more snow, most likely not in these quantities, but unless Sergey is planning on hanging outside on my street, I say Au revoir to Nor’easter's a fine Adieu to Winter.  See you again in about seven or eight months.





No comments: