Sunday, December 23, 2018

St. Nicholas Day: Mark Henderson by YogaBear Studio


Bells are ringin', children singin', all is merry and bright
So jump in bed, and cover your head, 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight


Over the last decade plus, FH has featured many Sexy Santa's. But this version of the jolly St. Nick is relatively modern, stemming from the 1820 poem, 'An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas' by Clement Clarke Moore. With a little help from cartoonist Thomas Nast, and Coca Cola's depiction of Santa in the 1930's and we have the version most of us accept as Santa today.


Most models can put on the red hat and play Santa, but not all have the chops to pull off Saint Nicholas. The original Saint Nicholas didn't wear red, that came later. The original was a Christian bishop from Patara. (a land that is now is part of present day Turkey) The Bishop was known for providing food and clothing to the sick and poor. Stories of his miracles and work for the poor spread to other parts of the world, including America in the 1700's, providing the basis for the now popular character of Santa Clause.


I love all my sexy Santa's, but had been looking for a Saint Nicholas when I recently saw David from YogaBear Studio's recent work with model and actor Mark Henderson. These shots were taken during David's recent trip to Toronto. David and Mark captured the essence of the St. Nick, plus a great nod to the present with the gift giver checking his cell phone to ensure his bottom hits down on just right chimney.


'This beautiful spirit David Gray flew from one end of our continent to almost the other to stay with me for 3 days and shoot me non stop. One cannot imagine how humbling and flattered I felt, all at once. He is grace and serenity. He directs me in precise small motions that later I see how he was 10 steps ahead of me.'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

'Thanks so much for the fantastic spread'
Guys follow me on IG FB Twitter