Friday, August 9, 2019

Blast From The Past: Ken Olin


'Holy shit.
I’m a senior citizen!'


Nothing makes you feel older than when a hunk you grew up salivating over, announces on Twitter that he's now a senor citizen...   That's exactly what happened when I read  Ken Olin's July 30th tweet commemorating his 65th birthday.  Although known to most for his role on Thirtysomething, these days, Olin keeps busy as an executive producer for This Is Us, and also served as EP for two of my all time favorite shows, Alias and Brothers & Sisters.


Although I've seen a few episodes of Thirtysomething, it wasn't a show I watched during it's original run.  I was about 11 or 12 when the show aired on ABC and it seemed a little too adult (ie boring..) the few times that I saw it.  My introduction to Ken actually came a year or two earlier...

Falcon Crest 1985

My parents were big fans of Dallas, and Friday night in our house was always Dallas night.  I loved to watch the show with my parents, more to watch them than the show itself.  I think Dallas was the only show they actually sat down and watched together.  For a time in the eighties, Dallas was followed by another Prime Time Soap, Falcon Crest.  Usually before the second soap started, my father left the rec room, and I was sent to bed.  Occasionally however, mom was too tired to fight with me, and stayed up, sometimes catching a bit of Jane Wyman drama.


I have a very vivid memory of a scene on the show and seeing a hot hairy chested man diving naked into a lake. The scene wasn't that long, and at the time didn't know who the actor was.  We didn't own a VCR yet, and back then, the showed aired just one time.  The scene remained one of those 'memories', incredibly vivid but yet not complete.


It was years later that I discovered the skinny dipping hunk was Ken Olin, who briefly played Father Christopher on the CBS soap.  When I finally got the net, I was able to find a clip of the scene to revisit that childhood memory.   When I first saw the scene, it was incredibly hot to me, but re-watching, it didn't exactly live up to what I had remembered.  It was CBS, so you weren't going to see much, but it still holds one of those erotic milestones in my sexual awakening

Thirtysomething (1987)

Queen's Logic (1991)

In addition to Ken's brief swim on Falcon Crest, I think his only other nude scene was in 1991's Queen's Logic.  Before anyone gets too excited, the scene shows about as much as his previous one, and is equally as fleeting. Ken, along with co-stars Tony Spiridakis, Joe Mantegna, John Malkovich and Kevin Bacon run to their car after having their clothing stolen while skinning dipping.  I'm not sure exactly which darkened buttocks is Olin's, but I'm sure someone can figure it out with a close study.

No comments: