Friday, August 9, 2019

Environmental Blend: Mickey by Implicit Ditto


'What I really find interesting is the blend of the environment and the model to really create a mood.'


It was that specific mood that Mike (Implicit Ditto) describes that first drew me to his imagery. I first noticed Mike's work on Model Mayhem awhile ago and knew I wanted to feature his work.  Last year, while profiling model and photographer John Cooper, I noticed some fantastic shots of John on Mike's Instagram and knew it was time to reach out.


Mike studied photography in college, but like myself and other would-be artists, time and money issues pushed him towards pursuing a safer profession.  For Mike, that was a carer in the tec sector.  Once digital cameras began to take hold, and became more affordable, Mike picked it back up and says he hasn't looked back since.  With his tec experience, Mike's attuned to changes in technology, and has been fascinated watching how photography and technology continues to blend together and compliment each other.


'I started focusing on the male form in the early 00’s as I decided it made sense to start photographing what it was I was spending so much time looking at.'


'My own personal aesthetic is to try and blend the surroundings in with the model as much as possible. I don’t do well with studio work for that reason. What I really find interesting is the blend of the environment and the model to really create a mood. For example, a person on a beach creates a mood, or in an industrial complex, in the forest, an abandoned house, etc. I just love bringing all of these elements together and seeing what’s possible. While some photographers are amazing in the studio, it’s just more of a challenge for me. But, that could change.'


Mike connected with Mickey through a modeling site, and Mike was among the first photographers that Mickey shot with.  Mike could see from his prior work that he was comfortable with his body and looked to find a space with both privacy, and not constrained by being in a public location.  This set of images come from their second shoot together, the first was shot at a private residence, these were taken on on the secluded property of one of Mike's friends.


 'Mickey is fantastic to work with, in fact, I have to work to keep up with him. Mickey is so athletic and fluid in his movements, he’ll just seamlessly (and quickly) transition from one pose to the next. I often have to catch him and tell him to stop and move back a few poses so I can re-shoot something. He’s also one of the most polite and enthusiastic people I’ve ever met. He’s genuinely grateful for the opportunity and experience and I think that comes through in all of his photos.'


I love the way Mickey blends into, and interacts with his environment in this location shoot.  The blend is beautifully quiet and subtle in tone and mood.  There are no jarring moments, movements or colors, even the pinks and blue's Mike captured seem to flow with Mickey's beautiful skin tone and the surrounding greens.



No comments: