Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Jason Bateman: Time & Place


Everything in live has a time and place, including attraction.  It's been fascinating working on FH to see how my tastes have changed over time.  It's also been interesting to see how my feelings about specific actors has also changed depending on time and place. I think my feelings about Jason Bateman are a great illustration.

It's Your Move (1984)

I think my first memory of Bateman on television was his short-lived eighties sit-com It's Your Move.  This was quickly followed by a longer stint on Valerie, aka Valerie's Family, aka The Hogan Family.  I remember liking Bateman, and appreciating his talent, but not really feeling any attraction.

Valerie (1986)

Maybe it in part it was because he was older than me, and he reminded me a bit of my older brother, who I wasn't really a fan of a the time,  If there was any actor on Valerie that I crushed on, it was probably Jeremy Licht who a couple of years younger.  Bateman undoubtedly had the talent, the charisma and presence, but after The Hogan Family went off the air, I don't remember being really drawn to many of his projects.


Over the last decade or so, I've seen Bateman forged out a pretty decent career both on television and in film.  Not as easy as it may seem for a child star who hit it big in the eighties.  Bateman's worked with the best in the business, and has seemed to seamless spread his focus evenly between acting and directing roles.

Couples Retreat (2009)

I keep wanting to give one of Bateman's new roles some serious attention, but have not been able to bring myself to invest in Arrested Development.  There's something about the show I think I'd like, and also something repels me at the same time.  I'm not repelled by Ozark, and it's award show wins, and my love for Laura Linney has it on my list to check out... one of these days.

Arrested Development

I didn't need any motivation however to check out the new HBO series The Outsider.  Maybe it's that I didn't really know much about it, and sort of stumbled upon it.  I've been looking for something to watch on Sunday nights since Watchmen ended, and the shows connection to Stephen King made it worth checking out.  King is my favorite author, but the television adaptations of his work are hit and miss.  Castle Rock for example had a really interesting season 1, but season 2, after a really strong start, morphed into a supernatural mess.

The Outsider (2020)

The Outsider also had a really strong start, and I quickly devoured and enjoyed the first two episodes. It's rare I actually sit and watch a TV show, usually I'm multi-tasking, working, working out, reading or working on the site.  The Outsider had me stopping, sitting, watching and enjoying.  The show begins with the rape and murder of an eight year old boy and although disturbing, the show doesn't dwell on the horrid details, but quickly dives into the twists and turns of who done it and how it happened.



For the first time, I found myself drawn to Bateman in way I'd never been before.  We're both older than when we were first introduced, but there was something about his look, maybe the longer hair, or facial hair, was incredibly attractive. 


There was a brief nude scene in episode one, (below) nothing was really shown and it wasn't remotely erotic given the context,  Bateman's character Terry Maitland was just arrested for the crime.  But it did surprise me as Bateman's always seemed... reluctant to show much skin.  A wise move perhaps, but a noticeable one.  In the eighties, you could usually count on most young actors for a shirtless pin-up in Tiger Beat, but Bateman kept his t-shirt on, and with just a few exceptions, has basically kept it that way.


I don't think it's really a spoiler to say that one of the main mystery's in The Outsider is whether Terry was actually the killer at all.  Although all the clues point to him, it is Stephen King, so nothing's for sure.  I just hope the series doesn't move too far from it's solid beginnings as season two of Castle Rock did.  I'm three episodes in and hooked, and although I can see where things are headed, I hope it's done smartly.

The Change-Up (2011)

Ozark (2017-2020)

No comments: