Thursday, May 14, 2020

Between A Rock & A Hard Pace


'As someone who’s been out since I first started almost 20 years ago, it is an honor to be on this cover oh wait I’m sorry that is a dead closeted person I’m so sorry.'
Billy Eichner


If you were on social media yesterday, you may have noticed the new cover of Entertainment Weekly became the issue Du Jour to be angry about.  Don't get me wrong, the magazines PRIDE cover had me wondering about two (women) who were included, and one I didn't really know for sure was gay.  But the Pollyanna in me couldn't help but think how lucky I am to live in an era where such a cover is now possible.


One of the comments that bothered me the most was the quote from Billy Eichner.  To me, the comment showed no only his jealousy at not being included, but also an ignorance to the fact that coming out, and struggles with sexuality are different for everyone. The term 'closeted' is now an insult, but there was a time, it was a safety necessity.  Rock Hudson was a matinee idol in the 50's and 60's, not exactly a welcoming time period for gay men, especially in Hollywood.


It took me awhile to come out of the closet, and I'm glad I did, but I don't have any regrets on how and when I did.  I'm not sure that an a actor playing romantic leads can be successful in 2020, let alone when Hudson was a star.  The cover images showed comedians, musicians and creators, but there wasn't a movie star leading man in the group, that pretty much tells it all.  From what I read, although Hudson may have been in the closet professionally, but by the late 60's and 70's, he was pretty much out in his private life.  It annoys me to no end that some still think unless you scream it on 60 Minutes, or announce it on the cover of People Magazine, you're still not out.  Closets, and their exits and entrances are not one size fits all.

Rock and longtime roommate Bob Preble

For me, Hudson is a gay icon not because of his position in the closet, but because of history in gay culture.  Not only was he an icon to gay men, long before they knew his secret, his death, and posthumous coming out, created changes in attitude, and progress in the AIDS crisis that may not have occurred if not for the love Hudson generated from Elizabeth Taylor, his friends and fans. Eichner's use of the phrase 'dead closeted person' may not have been intended as an insult, but to me, it's not much better than calling someone a fag.  They're both based in hatred and ignorance, certainly not Pride.

Entertainment Weekly Cover 

1 comment:

Hot guys said...

LOVE me some Billy Eichner in my life! ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š

I mean, Billy On The Street & Difficult People are LEGENDARY. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป