Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Skin in the Game: Alex by David Vance


'I probably first noticed Alex's red hair and pale skin.'


My affinity for gingers started when I was just a kid. I was drawn to an older guy who lived a few streets away in the subdivision I grew up in.  It wasn't however his russet hair that initially drew me to him.  I didn't know for sure he was a ginger at first as he was usually wearing a baseball hat backwards on his head.  The bit of hair I could see looked more a light brown than an orange or red.

What attracted me to him was his skin.  He was usually playing hoops in his driveway, and most of time he was shirtless.  I rode my bike, and walked my dog by his home as often as possible.  I was fascinated by his beautiful pale skin, his freckles and bit of auburn hair on his arms and legs.  My fascination with gingers was cemented and remains strongly intact to this day.


When photographer David Vance sent on his work with model Alex Espenshade, those memories came flooding back.  Alex has great facial structure and an incredible body, but it was his beautiful skin my eyes were drawn to first. The color contrast between hair and skin is often visually compelling, but exceptionally so with gingers.  I especially love David's shots which capture the tuft of hair peaking out from Alex's grey sweat pants.


David also has an affinity for gingers, something I'm sure played a part in  his reaching out to Alex with a DM on Instagram. Very little planning or discussion was required, Alex was aware of David's work and quickly responded he was up for a shoot.


'My shoot with Alex was kind of easy-breezy. No drama; he was very agreeable and easy to work with. His personality is very up and open.  I love photographing all types of skin for different reasons, but pale skin, to me photographs like marble, giving the body a more sculptural, flawless look. '


The Maryland born model and actor started out working as a production assistant at a construction company, but soon decided it was time to move west to pursue his dreams of becoming an actor.  Like so many, when Alex landed in LA he didn't really know anybody, so because networking in an attempt to make some connections. Those early connections led to Alex doing some modeling, something he hadn't really even considered before.  Once he had created a decent portfolio however, modeling offers quickly followed. Alex continues to pursue his acting dreams sees his look and hair color as an asset.  Unlike the many blonde and dark haired young actors he a auditions with, Alex see that his red hair sets him apart allowing him to leave a more memorable impression.





No comments: