Thursday, March 9, 2023

Iconicus


'The only thing an actor owes his public is not to bore them.'
Marlon Brando


Every year around Oscar time, I head to 'the list'.  The list of actors who have the most Academy Award nominations and wins.  The top two actors are Meryl Streep and Katherine Hepburn, but when it comes to men, Jack Nicholson comes in first at number three.  Over the year's I've been ticking my way down the list with pieces featuring  Nicholson, (HERE:) Denzel Washington, (HERE:) and Paul Newman. (HERE: & HERE:)


This year, I chose the iconic Marlen Brando, an actor with a total of 8 Oscar nominations and 2 wins.  Marlon is one of those rare thespians who is remembered both for sex appeal and his iconic roles and acting abilities.  Brando, much like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, has joined a small group of celebrities who have pop culture icons, and who's faces and bodies continue to remember long past their lives and their careers. 


Marlon Brando
Academy Award Resume

Best Actor
1951: A Streetcar Named Desire (nominated)
1952 Viva Zapata (nominated)
1953 Julius Caesar (nominated)
1954 On The Waterfront (won)
1957 Sayonara (nominated)
1972 The Godfather (won, but declined)
1973 Last Tango in Paris (nominated)

Best Supporting Actor
1989: A Dry White Season (nominated)


My introduction to Brando wasn't really the greatest.  The first two Brando films that I watched were VHS rentals, most likely picked by my parents.  I saw nothing special about the large man I first watched in The Freshman, (1990) and The Island of Dr. Moreau. (1996)  It wasn't until I was much older that I finally saw some of the actor's best performances in Guys & Dolls and On The Waterfront. 


I have to admit however, that I have yet to actually watch The Godfather.  I'm not sure why, I read so much about it, and know it's a classic.  It's on television all the time, but I've always avoided it, but it's on my movie 'bucket list' to finally watch this year. 


In addition to his talent and uniquely hot look, Brando is also a fascinating actor to read and learn about.  From his refusal to accept his 1972 Oscar, his reputation as being difficult,  his personal and love life and even his weight gain during the 1970's and 1980's make for great stories.  Marlen Brando, Oscar winner, and the epitome for the word Iconicus.  


No comments: