Friday, April 7, 2023

Ouiser's Lockeroom Adventure


 'A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste'
Ouiser Boudreaux


I was still a kid when saw Steel Magnolias in the theatre.  I believe it's the one and only movie I ever saw with both of my parents.  I'd gone to movies with my siblings and my dad, I'd been to movies with my mom, but never the two of them together.   


When I was young, I used to enjoy watching my parents reaction to movies as much as the movies themselves.  During Steel Magnolias, I watched my parents laugh, I watched my mother cry when one of the main characters died.  The entire theatre was crying, it was always surreal to me when I experienced hundreds of people all crying, or trying not to cry, together in a movie theatre. 


When it came to the locker room scene, I wasn't looking at others, I was too busy trying to ensure my own reactions were not noticed by others.  The scene was surprise, a pleasant one, but a surprise none the less.  I am not actually a huge fan of Shirley MacLaine, but she was brilliant in this film as Ouiser, and great in this scene.  I'd forgotten until re-watching the scene this week, how many beautiful beefy beefy butts paraded by Ouiser in the locker room.  Her mirror certainly came in handy! 


Claree
'But I love the top - such a vibrant purple. Bob, would you call this color "grape" or "aubergine'?

Ouiser
'This is football. All the people wanna hear about are touchdowns and injuries. They don't give a damn 'bout that grape shit.'

No comments: