Friday, October 6, 2023

Peaches & Creamed


'The corn is as high as an elephant's eye, 
An' it looks like it's climbin' clear up to the sky'
Oklahoma


Living in the country, I've grown to both love and loath cornfields.  I love them, as their visual beauty is spectacular with their tall stalks which turn from lush green to a bleached golden as the season starts to wane.  I love walking in cornfields, and have been through many a corn maze. 


The part I dislike is the crowds that pour in during the Autumn holiday season.  City dwellers head to the country each weekend to buy fresh fruit and vegetables and to pick out a pumpkin.  They like a day at the winery, and bring their kids to play in the corn mazes, and visit the farm animals.  


For me, this means for much of October and November, in my small town that's usually pretty quiet, it's bumper to bumper traffic, with people form the city and tourists looking for a taste of country during harvest.   The only good thing is that's it's temporary, by the time December comes around, the visitors decrease, with far fewer visitors arriving for Christmas craft fairs and winter festivals. 

Kevin De La Cruz

One of these days, I'm going to pick up my camera again, and do a shoot myself for FH.  When I do,  I'm going to find just the right model and head out to a cornfield.  You can't match the natural background in a studio, and the Autumn emotions only a cool, crisp day in the country can provide.  Sorry, I know this post is a little corny, but I couldn't help myself, it shucks! 


This corn will teach to you, should you peel away the husk, and be willing to open your ears.

2 comments:

JJ said...

I grew up in the CA suburbs, but I once met someone from the Midwest that once said they had the experience of "throwing down a blanket in the middle of a cornfield" and to me that sounded like FUN! Haha!

Anonymous said...

The dude with the North Face cap has one fine dick