Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Saki: Go Big Or Gourd Home!


'Thanksgiving is a holiday all about giving thanks, showing gratitude, spending time and sharing food with family and friends. We l have all the etiquette you need to set the table, turn down the guest room or talk politics without ruining the meal.'
Emily Post


Author and socialite Emily Post was famous for her writing about etiquette.  I'm not sure though, her tips would really apply to Saki and his Thanksgiving celebration.  They especially don't connect, with Saki's table setting choices. 


When it comes to the holiday in general, Emily Post recommends guests arrive on time and bring something to contribute to the meal.  Those are fine, we can get on board with Emily on those.  I'd be bringing my bread stuffing, it's always been a hit whenever I make it. I don't use any sausage or meat in it, it's just bread, vegies and spices.  I think the magic comes from the summer savory and my home made turkey stock.


Post also advices guests to stick to safe subjects, and put their phone away when seated at the table.  I'm not big on either of those, but can get on board, at least for the meal portion of the day.  Post goes on to advise guests to dress up a bit, pushing your wardrobe up a notch for the holiday.  This is where I and Emily diverge in opinion.   If you're a guest at Saki's Thanksgiving feast, you know clothes are only for the card ride there.  Once inside, the only dressing required is the mouth watering summer savory version I previously mentioned. 

When it comes to the table it itself, Post has a long list of almost 20 setting elements for the table, including almost a dozen forms of cutlery.  We don't need 12 pieces of cutlery, especially separate knifes and forks for our fish course and salads.  


We really don't need forks at all.  Although there will be some poking, it won't be with a toothed utensil... well at least I don't think so. Oyster fork however, might come in handy. The only utensil I see us really using might be a wooden spoon.  Sometimes, a little tenderizing, (spanking) might be in order if the meat is tough and hard. 


As far as table decor goes, no need to waste money on buying anything.  The only gourds required are the two that below to Saki, and they'll be splayed in the middle of the table along with his corn stalk and husk.  Saves both money, and the need for any dessert.  So, thanks Emily Post, but as far as Thanksgiving etiquette goes, I think we'll stick to our own. 



No comments: