Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Gratitude & Solitude

Either by circumstance, or by choice, sometimes people spend Thanksgiving alone.   Not everyone loves huge gatherings, often with people you don't see much the rest of the year.  Annoying cousins, nosy aunts, and farting grandfathers.  Sometimes, a little solitude can be something to be grateful for. 

Since my parents are no longer here, I no longer spend Thanksgiving with family.  I have invites from my siblings, but I've been going to my friends home the last few years.  It's a small group, and one that fully understands when I duck out about 8pm, and head home.  There's that brief window when the tryptophan has kicked in for the adults, and just the sugar from the pumpkin pie has kicked in for my fiend's three kids.  

Just like Christmas though,  it can be hard for some to be alone when so many are gathering with friends and family. It can also be an opportunity if you can get your head around it.  Buy a small chicken or order out.  Get a bottle of wine, or your favorite drink if alcohol isn't your thing.  Plan on watching a good movie, and ensure you have a good book on hand.

Just remember two things... 

You can pull your own damned wishbone...

And...

Not everyone attending those large, noisy gatherings... is having that much fun.

No comments: