Sunday, January 21, 2024

Memorable Movie Moments: Trick

'The misadventures of two young gay men, trying to find a place to be alone, one night in Manhattan.'


In many ways, my introduction to gay cinema occurred in the 1990's.  Sure, I'd seen gay characters in films before, but there were two significant things that happened in the 90's.  The first, was a Blockbuster opened in my city.  There were small video stores before that, but when the 1990's began, I had to rent on my father's card, so wasn't about to rent anything that might open that closet door.


By the end of the 1990's however, I had my own Blockbuster card, and although still in the closet, was able to sneak in a gay themed movie under Die Hard, Indiana Jones, or some other movie I deemed straight and safe.  Movies like The Birdcage, and The Talented Mr. Ripley and The Crying Game were on the same shelves as the new releases, and were rented by almost everyone.

Others movies took a little more risk.  Although some starred well known actors, at the time, it was still scary.  I look back at how silly it really was, my fear, but it was very real at the time.  The movies I rented that caused me stress included movies including;  Wilde. My Own Private Idaho, Longtime Companion, Jeffrey, Love! Honor! Compassion!,  Kiss Me Guido,  Velvet Goldmine, Lilies and Edge of Seventeen.

 
The second big change in the 1990's was finally having the Internet in our family home.  I have fond memories of listening to that dial up amp up, and being able to search for gay themed images, sites and movies.  I was always careful to delete the trash, but look back and realize I left so many easily found traces and clues.  One of the movies I learned about on the net was 1999's Trick.  There's wasn't really much, (any) nudity in Trick, but there was a hot scene with actor John Paul Pitoc in a g-string.  Check out the scene on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Trick Director Jim Fall with Pitoc

No comments: