Friday, January 12, 2024

Out of Left Fielding


'I had a dream about Paul. He was wearing just an apron.'


Like so many fans of The Great British Bake Off, I loved Sue and Mel.  I think it was actually their chemistry and personality that really getting into the show.  I think that was one of the reasons it took me so long to warm up to host Noel Fielding when he joined the reality show in Series 8.  I liked Sandy right away, but Noel's quirkiness initially seemed a bit out of place in the setting and on the show.

Noel at London Fashion Week (2014)

I think in part, I was trying to figure out what Noel was all about.  Usually comedians have a 'thing', a personality trait or theme to set them apart.  I didn't initially find Noel that funny, and weirdness and androgyny seemed to be his schtick. For some reason this seemed a bit forced to me. I initially thought he was gay, then read he had a female partner and two kids.  Not that his sexuality was important, but sex and sexuality did seem to be something he was using as part of a character in his public persona. 

Not knowing about anything about his history, I wasn't really aware of comedic past.  Noel has done stand-up, acted, presented and spent time as  part of the British comedy troupe, The Mighty Boosh.   In 1990, he and The Mighty Boosh member Julian Barratt made the short film Sweet. (below)

Sweet

'Sweet follows the ups and downs of Pete Sweet's (Fielding) relationship with his friend Dave's sister, Poppy, who just so happens to be imaginary'


Given the short film had a bit of nudity I had to add it.  I also believe that Noel is the only host on the show to have done a nude scene.  The entire 10 minute film is available on YouTube if you want to check it out. 

No comments: