Saturday, May 11, 2024

Helianthus: Dex by Studio1x

'Sunflowers always seek the light, no matter the storm.'


Longtime FH readers know that sunflowers have been apart of many posts on the site.  In party, it's simply they're beauty.  Sunflowers loom larger than most flowers, taller, stretching to reach the sun and sky.  Their color is also stunning, in part due to the size of the vibrant yellow petals. 

Sunflowers also hold a great deal of symbolism.   Like all flowers, sunflowers must crawl their way through the dirt in order tor each the light.  Then, many grow taller, thicker and stronger than almost every other flower.  In addition to growth and resilience, sunflowers also represent loyalty, devotion, positivity and joy.  It's hard not to brighten up when seeing a single sunflower, let alone a sunflower field full of yellow sunshine. 


Although I always loved sunflowers, my passion for the flower was only heighted after my mother died.  They were her favorite flower, and I the only flower she welcomed on Mother's Day.  She actually disliked getting flowers as gifts, she felt them a waste of money, and only something that wilted and died.  The exception was sunflowers, which she accepted with a smile. 


Although I'd previously featured several shoots of male models with sunflowers, since her death, I've actively looked for more.  So many of my favorite artists have scoured their archives, sending on their work with models and sunflowers.  I especially love that this year's shoot features Studio1x and his work with Dex.


Jim from Studio1x has shot many holiday themed shoots for the site, and his first and only Mother's Day shoot from 2021 featured Dex. (Room 118)  There were sunflowers in that shoot, just Dex heading to room 118 for a passionate afternoon with his best friend's mother.  Last year, I spotted an image of Dex on Jim's Instagram.  I quickly got in touch and Jim sent on all of his work with Dex for me to choose from.

Since then, I've featured several of the themes Jim and Dex shot including Dex in and out of a winter sweater, (HERE:) and with another flower, the rose, this past Valentine's Day. (HERE:)  Sadly, this is the last set with Dex, but hopefully we'll see him again in the future.  It's certainly not the last time I'll feature sunflowers on the site, they bring forth too much joy, and so many wonderful memories. 



No comments: