Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Witchful Thinking: Holden by Studio 1x


'Tis now the very witching time of night, when churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out contagion to this world'
William Shakespeare , Hamlet


I was very specific with what I wanted in a witch.  Incredibly bewitching was only the beginning. I wrote last year about how my love of witches and warlocks began, from movies and TV shows from my childhood, to vivid visuals that planted themselves in my head.


Since I was a child, I have always been fascinated by witches. Whether a in a nursery rhyme, a Disney cartoon, musical, movie or novel, witch was usually the most interesting and intriguing  character.


'Finding great images to go along with this pieces was not easy. My witch hunt had varying degree's of success. I was looking for a very specific look and feel. Not a warlock, not a wizard but the male equivalent of the traditional witch visuals. Sexy, black hat, cauldrons and brooms.'


It wasn't just magic and witchcraft that drew my interest, it was the visuals.  That plastic witch flying by the moon cut-out we all had hung in our homes at Halloween, the tall pointy hat, the black cape, the long flowing mane of black hair.  My love witches was rooted in the visual, the dramatic impact a powerful witch and their cape could be captured and photographed.


When discussing with Jim about what I wanted, I researched old Hollywood Pin-ups, images like the ones I sent to Jim as examples, a few of which I placed on The OVER-FLOW HERE:  These witches were hexy, and they knew it.  They had a strong sexual core, one well earned from centuries of seeing and learning.  It was one of the many powers they used to dominate the men who made the mistake of venturing too far into their domain. I wanted my wish to be a blend of classic witch imagery, old Hollywood pin-ups, eye of newt, toe of frog, with a dash of model Jesse L. Brown as photographed in his black briefs and boots by Justin Monroe.


To be a witch,
Is not about sex,
It's not about image.
It is a state of mind
It is embedded in your Soul


It was that state of mind, that soul embedding that resonated from me.  Although there were friendly witches depicted in books and on TV shows,  the witches that resonated usually, were not.  They were evil, but not evil just for the sake of it, witches were pathological for a purpose. 


Righting a wrong, ending an evil, bringing justice to an individual or group that society had shoved into the shadows.  That didn't mean however, the odd bratty kid wasn't banished to hell, or that sexist construction worker, or handsy co-worker wasn't turned into a goldfish or toad, a little witchy fun goes with the territory.


Jim and Holden certainly outdid themselves with the shoot, pulling in all my requests with incredibly sexy masculine witchy results! Jim edited away until his eyes couldn't see straight to provide me with hundreds of images to choose from of Holden tipping his pointy hat, whipping around his cape and gripping his impressive broomstick.


Jim shares that both he and Holden really enjoyed the shoot and creating creative shots and poses for the with. The moon shots, one of which I used as Pic of the Day, was a nod to vintage Halloween pin-ups and the most difficult to edit.  In addition to the hat, cape and broom, Jim also utilized a fog machine for some of the images.  Just as Holden straddled the broom, Jim did an incredible job straddling and weaving between the witches sexy and mysterious sides.  Jim also did an amazing job incorporating my various wishes for the witch!


Given Jim sent on over 200 images of Holden as our witch, I couldn't just limit my choices to one post... Check out more on Page 2 HERE:

2 comments:

Studio1x said...

Thank you Tye for showcasing our work. When you first shared your idea I was like him, not sure this will work nor be able to find a model for it. To my surprise I found two very sexy talented guys that loved the idea. As you can see by their looks they were very easy to work with and made the day fly by. Happy witching!!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Loves the photos! Witches ARE supposed to be sexy. Witchcraft is feared because it implies power: both on the physical and non-physical realms. And that's something the patriarchy cannot allow. Happy Halloween!