Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Horror Hunks: Ross Lynch in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina


'Wait a minute. How are you gonna quit magic? Go to Witch Watchers?'
Harvey Kinkle


I was a little surprised when I first read that actor Ross Lynch was cast as Harvey Kinkle on the new Netflix series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  It's not that Lynch isn't incredibly talented, he is.  In addition to acting, Lynch is also a singer, songwriter and musician, his early fame arose from his role as one of the founding members of the pop rock group R5.



Although completely adorable, I also never pictured Harvey as a blonde, especially given Sabrina seemed to own blond in most the versions of the cartoon I have seen. But... Lynch darkened up for the role, looking like the perfect All-American boy next door and high school sweet heart of our resident teen witch.


All-American boy next door however, was a role I sort of felt Lynch was attempting to put in his past.  After a string of Disney projects, including one of the leads on the series Austin & Ally and roles in Disney's Teen Beach series of movies, Lynch took on a darker role after finishing his role on Austin and Ally.


You can't get much darker than Jeffrey Dahmer and that's exactly the role Lynch took on shed his Disney skin in last years 'My Friend Dalmer.' Lynch got great reviews for his performance and critics thought director Marc Meyers, and Lynch's performance, did a great job in humanizing Dahmer, without minimizing any of his monstrousness,


'It almost worked like clockwork.I was fresh out of Disney, and I was ready to go for the next project. The script came out of nowhere. I was asked, "Do you know who Jeffrey Dahmer is?" And I said, "No." And my agent said, "Well, there’s this script going around. And you would be good in it." And of course, I got the comment, "You kind of look like him." Which is unfortunate—but fortunate at the same time, because obviously I got the role.'.
Ross Lynch, GQ


Lynch's appeal isn't hampered by the fact he seems to like to hang out in towels and tight whities that friends and family post on-line.


Lynch's talent as an actor is evident even playing the All-American Harvey.  Although part boy next door, Lynch's Harvey has a past, one in which means he has demons of own battle.  Harvey is sweet and adorable, but the edge Lynch brings to his work seems just under the surface, ready to arise if his demons return.


My Friend Dahmer (2017)


1 comment:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

So that's where he was. He was in My friend Dahmer! In Sabrina he comes across as one fo those non-threatening boyfriends that Riverdale has all but done without. But he does show potential. These Disney kids surely grow up fast.