Friday, February 7, 2020

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch


Although Brad Pitt had a few roles on his resume, two episodes of Another World and credits like 'boy at the beach' and 'uncredited partygoer',  and 'preppy kid at fight', it wasn't until 1987 when Pitt really began to grab attention.  Although he appeared in just a handful of episodes, DALLAS was still holding on to fairly decent ratings, and Pitt's turn as Randy was really the role that got things rolling.


I've written before that I have an odd emotional connection to DALLAS.  When I was a kid, it was the only television show both my mother and father sat down to watch together.  I used to love sitting down on Friday nights (before being sent to bed) and watch not so much the show, but my parents watching the show.  It was the one hour each week that our house was quiet, and my parents sat together enjoying the same thing.


I didn't really get to watch DALLAS, enjly and understand what was going on until years later when the nighttime soap's repeats were aired on TNN (The Nashville Network).  I remembered the hot studly blonde from his time on Dallas, but I didn't know his name, at least not at first.  There was no IMDB yet, and it wasn't until seeing Pitt in teen magazines that my crush was born.



Pitt briefly dated Dallas co-star Shalane McCall, and the teen couple was pushed front and center to promote the series to younger viewers.  One of Pitt's first promotional shoots included shots by photographer Kathy Amerman featuring Pitt with McCall to help promote the show.  As you can see, Pitt had already mastered his relationship with the camera, and was already quite skilled at connecting with the camera, and the audience.

No comments: