Friday, May 22, 2020

Max Grossman: I Wish!


Some FH readers might remember how much I love Stephen Sondheim's Into The Woods.  My love began with the soundtrack and the original cast and then finally seeing the production they filmed for PBS.  I crushed over Ben Wright (Jack) and the entire original Broadway cast was magic.  I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, which although cinematic, lacked so much of the power the original production produced for me.


Recently, the has been a lot of pandemic programming, and like many, I've enjoyed returning to so much of the music that I listened to growing up.  After watching Sondheim's 90th birthday celebration, and especially Josh Groban, who sang 'Children Will Listen', I went onto Youtube to look for more versions of the shows iconic songs.


This video of the shows opening number, has become one of my favorite videos to listen to, and watch on an almost nightly basis.  Directed, produced and edited by musician Max Grossman, the song is spectacular from start to finish.  Every character perfectly cast, and such wonderful creative choices were made by the actors, choices only available due to Zoom, pandemic method of filming.



Although the voices and music are spectacular, I found myself obsessively watching Grossman throughout the song.  In addition to his other duties, Grossman also plays the piano, and watching him play his instrument was incredibly hypnotic, and also incredibly sexy.  Grossman strokes the keys with a graceful power, and although I took piano for a couple of years, I only wish I had half of the talent and musicality as this talented artist.


If you love the score to Into The Woods, I strongly suggest you give this video a watch.  I also challenge you not to get swept up in both the magnificent cast, and the piano playing dance from Grossman.  If you like the show, I also challenge you to make a small donation to the actors fund. (HERE:) It was the charity that inspired Grossman to assemble this group of young talent together for us all to enjoy.  Like so many others who commented on the video, I would have loved seeing the entire show directed by Grossman with this cast, even if had to be done quarantine style.

Prerequisite Shirtless Shot

No comments: