Friday, May 22, 2020

Robin Askwith: Confessions


I have a confession....  I wasn't really familiar with the work of British actor Robin Askwith.  I should have been, given FH's focus is the male form, and men in the media, I really should have discovered Askwith before now, especially given his multiple appearances nude on screen.  There have been many actors over the years, (Christopher Atkins, Richard Gere, Jason Biggs, Ryan Phillippe) who's recurring nude scenes become part of their persona.  Audiences begin to expect a bit of skin from this group of actors, and are disappointed when it's not there.


I had seen Askwith on screen once before, in 1972's Tower of Evil, and although I certainly noticed Askwith, I was so drawn to John Hamill, that Askwith didn't get the attention he deserved.  It wasn't that I didn't get the memo.  Earlier this month, when celebrating Hamill's birthday, I linked back to my original piece on Tower of Evil. (HERE:) There in the comments section was a FH reader letting me know about Askwith being the King of raunchy British sex comedies.  This time, I paid attention.


Askwith had a busy career on film, especially through the 70's. Aswith appeared in the Carry On films and movies with intriguing titles like Let's Get Laid, Stand Up Virgin Soldiers, Stagg's Night and Queen Kong. Askwin also has an impressive list of nude scenes including in Tower of Evil and turns in Cool It Carol, Love Trap and The Canterbury Tales. Askwith also starred in a series of Confessions of films, all in which he appeared naked. Although the films were dominated by many female nude scenes, Askwith always got into the action.


Although Askwith my not have the typical chiseled movie star face, he is incredibly sexy on film, both engaging and cute, as well as incredibly sexy.  Askwith used his personality well on screen, saving several films with his energy and presence.


Confessions of a Driving Instructor (1976)

When researching Askwith's nude scenes in the Confession series, it appeared he showed the most in 1976's Confessions Of A Driving Instructor.  Askwith has about a half a dozen nude scenes in the film, with a half a dozen different female partners.  Although most just show his furry behind, you can clearly see his penis when he's in the bathtub (see clip below) near the end of the film.  This was the only Confessions film I saw, but I'll check out the others and be sure to check back!




No comments: