Tuesday, December 15, 2020

12 Days: Josh Swickard in A California Christmas

'With his carefree lifestyle on the line, a wealthy charmer poses as a ranch hand to get a hardworking farmer to sell her family's land before Christmas.'


I've been wanting to feature actor Josh Swickard for awhile now.  I don't watch General Hospital, and never saw him on the show, but I saw enough screen captures, not to mention Josh's modeling shots, not to notice the strikingly hot actor.   When I started researching Josh last month, I knew a 12 Days post would be perfect given he had an upcoming Netflix Christmas due for release.


A California Christmas was released earlier this week and I eagerly awaited it's Netflix arrival.  Josh was totally hot, and totally engaging as Joseph, the wealthy son who poses as a ranch hand in order to close a business deal.  The movie however, was missing something.  The camera work and cinematography were beautiful, but most of the supporting characters, especially the female roles, seemed... well unfinished. 


The acting for some of the supporting roles was also a little iffy in places.  This sort of surprised me given the film was written by Josh's wife, Lauren Swickard, who also played the female lead in the film.  One stand out however, was Ali Afshar as Joseph's majordomo. Afshar was also one of the movie's producers.  Leo scenes were a highlight and more enjoyable than the film's primary storyline.


Maybe I'm used to Hallmark movies where the female characters are generally the focus, but this story really needed a bit more time to flesh out.  Speaking of flesh, although there were certainly a few gratuitous shirtless scenes, Josh showed less skin than he did in all the screen caps I saw from his soap opera days.  All in all it was an enjoyable watch, but I really can't recommend it as a Christmas movie.  Sure, it was set around the holidays, but there were actually oddly few scenes with Christmas, and minimal Christmas decorations on display in most scenes.   Most Christmas movies almost 'vomit' tinsel and garland in every scene, and I was sort of surprised how much I missed it.




General Hospital

No comments: