Monday, July 25, 2022

A Visit to Venice:


Like many, I've been reading about, and watching promotional interviews and ads for HBO Max's The Last Movie Stars.  The Ethan Hawke directed series looks back and celebrates the life of superstars Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  I hadn't really planned to post yet, as I've yet to watch the series, but a certain image of Paul on the beach had me changing my mind. 


When I researching my piece on Frank Sinatra last week, I ended up on IMDB to see if I'd ever actually seen a Frank Sinatra movie.  I hadn't, not that I could remember anyway.  But on the side of Sinatra's credits was an image of Newman and a themed photo album ladled 'Vintage Celebrities at the Beach.' (HERE:)


Along with Elizabeth Taylor and the usual suspects was a shot of Newman walking in his 'swimming suit'.  Had it been the 70's he may have been sporting a speedo, had it been the 80's, maybe shorts, but given it was the 50's, I'd safely say they were called swimming trunks at the time..  When I was growing up in the 80's, my mother always said 'bathing suit' but father always called them 'trunks', no matter how we groaned. 


Newman was in Venice for the 1963 Venice film festival and took a little break for a quick dip.  I'm guessing here, but it  looks as if Newman may have been on a boat as he often appears with a guy looking very much like the captain of the yacht he may have been traveling on.  I'm not sure what film Newman was promoting but I'm guessing possibly Hud which was released in May of that year.


No comments: