Monday, January 16, 2023

Kudos to The Traitors

'Contestants in the game move into a majestic castle and work as a team to complete a series of dramatic and challenging missions to earn money for the prize pot. Some contestants are traitors some are loyal.'

More specifically the kudos go to actor and host Alan Cumming who breathes life into the new Peacock reality series The Traitors.  Based on the Dutch series De Verraders, Cumming welcomes contestants, some reality celebrities, some everyday people to a Gothic Scottish mansion.   Channeling his inner Bond villain, Cumming purrs hilarious one liners as he winks and gives knowing looks to the camera and viewers.

In addition to his hosting skills, Cumming also dazzles in multiple plaid suits and multi-color berets, setting as much of a tone with his wardrobe as his skilled hosting abilities.  Although I've watched my share of reality shows, I usually avoid those shows that brings reality players together to compete.  It seems like just an excuse to squeeze another few seconds from their fifteen minutes of fame.

I'm glad I read some fantastic reviews for The Traitors though, as it has motivated me to give the show a shot.  The first thing I learned was that the contestants are really secondary to host Cumming and the overall atmosphere set by the game.  Although the nightly 'murders' aren't really, you still get caught up in the the suspense of who won't make it to breakfast in the morning.  


The contestants are overall more likable than expected, especially the non-celebrities who are for the most part really overshadowed by the reality stars.  Cirie is as watchable as she was on Survivor, and Kate Chastain as horrid as she was on her final seasons on Below Deck. Rachel Reilly really surprised me as I liked her much more than I did during her time on Big Brother.

As for hotties to enjoy, there are more than a few favorites in the mix.  I've never seen The Bachelor, but I did enjoy meeting Arie Luyendyk Jr.  There's also Olympic Swimmer Ryan Lochte and Big Brother's Cody Calafiore. Cody is still looking good, but really waste of space on this show. As much manipulating as he did in the Big Brother house, he seems out of element here. 

Even with the questionable haircut, I still love me some Kyle Cooke from Summer House.  I haven't watched that show in awhile, but Kyle was and is, always entertaining.  If you're on the fence about giving this show a shot, I say go for it.  Even if you're not a reality fan, Alan Cumming makes it worth a look.

No comments: