Thursday, August 31, 2023

Frank Joseph: A Provocative Process


I've enjoyed focusing on cmnm images and videos the last few months, but with the site's focus on the male form, the theme has always been a core part of FH.  Every shoot and ever nude model that I've featured has been rooted in the theme.   Sure, there maybe a few photographers who strip down down during the shooting process, but most leave the nudity to the model.


When I was thinking of a photographer to spotlight featuring the theme, I immediately thought of Frank JosephFH viewers know I love the process piece of shoots, and especially including behind the scenes images and stories in my posts.  Whenever I feature a shoot, I like to know how it came together, and everything I can about the shoot and the process. 


In my previous pieces Frank's work, (HERE:) I've spotlighted some of my favorite of Frank's models and shoots.  If you've check out Frank's site, you know that it includes much more than just final images.  Frank also often includes behind the scenes videos of his shoots and has a blog on his site with behind the scene images and videos.


I love not only watching, but listening to the interactions, the comments from the models and Frank giving direction during the shoot.  Most of the images in this piece are video captures I took from the many videos on Frank's site.  I also shot Frank a few questions about his cmnm experiences, and if he'd ever been on nude side of the cmnm equation. 


Do you still get (nervous, excited) when a model takes their clothes off, or has it become just routine? 

It doesn’t make me nervous but occasionally can excite. There’s a little bit of awkwardness when we first start to shoot, but that always goes away quickly. I never find the models are ever shy about removing their clothes. On a few occasions, it was a pleasant surprise to see the model was already aroused. 

How to gage how interactive you should be on a shoot?

I prefer to pre-arrange only the type of nudes we’ll be shooting (full frontal, aroused, butt only, etc) The rest I gage by my interaction with the model and how they respond to touch. I like to feel the model’s energy when I’m close. If they seem uneasy or step back (rare), then I don’t proceed any further.


I love the process of a shoot as much as the finished images. What made you decide to be part of the 'story' with behind the scene videos?

At some point I decided to start recording sessions with a GoPro that was head mounted. I figured the POV would be comparable to my own and that would be interested. The problem with that POV alone is that my head doesn’t keep still, which can be annoying for a viewer (especially a paying viewer) So I’ve incorporated 2nd and 3rd cameras and merge the footage together into one. Sometimes what is captured by one camera is dynamic enough that I’ll offer separate views of those cameras alone (Roly, Bel Gris). 


Have you ever modeled nude yourself for another photographer? If so, how was that experience different than your work behind the camera? 

I did when I was in my 20’s in California for a photographer named Sherwin Carlquist. He was extremely nice to me. We worked about 4 or 5 times. I’m in several of the photo books he published, which I used to have, but they were stolen with some other property a few years ago. I also operated a home cam called MyHouseLive in the early days of cam performing. I took more selfies than actually performed online. Lost all of that content to a hard drive I cannot access.


The last two images below feature Zafi, who Frank recently shot in Barranquilla, Colombia.  There is a preview on the site now, but Zafi's full shoot with debut on the site on September 2nd. 


Frank Joseph on Twitter / Instagram

No comments: