Monday, September 4, 2023

Supply & Demand:


'When you're near me like this 
You're much too hard to resist'


When I saw vintage ad above on a recent retro Twitter thread, I knew a post was in the future.   I was too young to be in school during the Donny Osmond, David Cassidy heyday of school supplies, but I certainly remember the various teen idols from the 80's and 90's that blanketed notebooks, binders, pencil holders and rulers.


Even if I had been old enough to attend school in the 70's, David Cassidy would not have been my binder cover.   Donny was cute, but neither really does it for me.  Celebrity school supplies actually didn't interest me at all and even when I was in primary and elementary school, I don't really remember many guys with celebrity covered supplies.  Maybe a few Top Gun and retro Star Wars t-shirts, but that was about all. 


I went more of the safe 'solid' colors, hiding my sexuality even before I knew what it was myself.  Dark navy's and forest greens were my safe colors for scribblers and binders.  I may have gone a bit out of my comfort zone with a plaid pencil case, but that was as far as it went.


I didn't take a lunch box, but a brown paper bag.  I know I'm not the only one who remembers using that the same plain brown paper to cover some of my text books.  My mother usually did that, I was too messy, and didn't have the patience to do it correctly.  Those brown bag covers never lasted that long, as they were usually ripped, or doodled to death before too long.


I learned early not to demand anything from my parents, if I did, I would get the cheapest, and ugliest school supplies.  I'm sure there were many kids however, demanding Donny Osmond in the 70's, Bo and Luke in the 80's, Luke and Jason in the 90's Britney and Justin T in the 2000's, Bieber, Mendes and One Direction in the 2010's.


I often think back to those little girls and boys and wonder if anyone around at the time would have guessed so many of our teen idols ended up growing up and eventually appearing nude in the media.  Some like  Timberlake and Styles did nude scenes in movies, others like Bieber blessed the paparazzi with their packages. 


 I certainly never would have guessed, never would have hoped, when salivating over the 90210 hunks in the 90's, one day I'd see them naked.  Both Brian Austin Green and Ian Ziering have done butt scenes in movies, and Luke Perry and Jason Priestly went full frontal on screen.  Luke bravely walked through OZ totally naked and Priestly penis flopped around in Calendar Girl. Both can be found on FH HERE:


Ok Shawn, the underwear ads and regular thirst traps are nice, but it's your turn!  Time to pull a Bieber, just don't follow him by over doing the tats! 


No comments: