Thursday, November 2, 2023

King Kong: Origin Stories

'This is one monkey you DON'T want on your back.'


So why a King Kong themed day?  So many reasons, beginning with my seeing the 1976 version on VHS when I was a kid.  I've also been trying to expand my Halloween themes a bit beyond just ghosts, goblins and witches.  Over the last few years, I've been focusing on Horror movies, and classic horror characters.  Some of my favorite photographers have shot for my Hitchcock theme, (HERE:) my tribute to Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, (HERE:) and this year's salute to Ghostface. (HERE:


Visually, it began with an image of Brazilin model Franklin David. (see pic below).  The image was shot from photographer Pedro Colon of a naked Franklin being manhandled by two huge and hairy Gorilla hands.  My idea for a King Kong theme was then conceived. After searching the net, I found the an Ape hand costume, (above) on Amazon, and everything began to fall into place.


I also really wanted to follow photographer Richard Rothstein, and the homonormative themes he's so beautifully captured.  I wanted a Kong who captured a hot man, not an Ann Darrow, but a Darrow Andrews.  I was also inspired by Kong lifting the beautiful blond Brian Kerwin into his huge hand, (above) in 1986's King Kong Lives,.  The movie was so bad however, Kerwin's hairy hug, was the only interesting part of the movie.  You can see more Brian on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Franklin David

I knew that any artist up to the task would need plenty of time, so I began putting feelers out this past summer.  Thankfully, the two artists I contacted first were both on board, and excited about the challenge.  I knew that the project would require skills beyond capturing an image, and that editing, and digital creative skill would also be required. 


I started by asking Tom from TR Pics about doing a King Kong theme Shoot. I love Tom's holiday imagery, and hoped might be up to the challenge.  He was, and went above and beyond.  With the ape hands no longer available to purchase on-line, Tom wasn't deterred.  He went above and beyond, creating an epic King Kong love story from lost footage, and an and old diary recently found. 


I also asked digital artist Achillias about creating a Darrow Andrews story.  I've loved his work since first discovering it, and loved the original Mother's Day story he created for FH back in 2021.(HERE:)  I knew Achillias would be able to bring Kong to life, with a hot Darrow Andrews to lift up and explore.

I can't thank Tom and Achillias enough for not only their creations, but the time and effort put into their creations.  Both created complete Kong sagas with original characters and both went above and beyond what could have hoped for or ever expected.  I hope you all enjoy their creations as much as I do and check out the next few pages full of visual tributes to the colossal gorilla, and the hot men who encountered him. 

No comments: