Thursday, October 28, 2021

Maine Men:


'A man’s mouth gets him in more trouble than his pecker ever could, most of the time.'
Stephen King

Daniel Hugh Kelly (Cujo)

So, what's the connection between FH and the work of Stephen King? Well, on the surface not much. There aren't a lot hunky men living in towns of Castle Rock, Derry and Chester's Mill. Not a lot of gay characters, not a lot of sex or skin.  There's a bit, but it's usually connected to something more evil than erotic.  Even the heroes in King's books are flawed. Damaged men, often grizzled and worn, anti-social, alcoholic, and often criminals.

IT (1990)

I guess in some ways that's the point.  Heroes don't often actually come in the form of a Disney Princess or a Tom Cruise character. They're real men and women, often pushed to their heroic acts not by choice, but by circumstance.  Unlike the heroes flying around in the Marvel universe, most people don't fly around looking to save the world.  Most of us in fact, work to avoid it.  But the outsiders in King's novels often speak to me on a level I instinctively connect with.  Their fears are relatable.  They're the fears that stalked us all at one point or another in our lives.


When I started looking back on the site, I was shocked at how many posts were connected to King and his projects. If not directly, they were inspired by seeing an actor or character in a King movie. They were more from moments rather than scenes. King doesn't really write a lot of erotic scenes, he seems to actively avoid it.  He also doesn't often include nudity, unless it's to embarrass or humiliate.

King's real heroes are often the children he creates and writes.  He zeroes in on their innocence, and often the traumas that occur that lead to it's loss.  In The Institute, the King novel I read this past summer, there were many scenes of with the teen hero Luke Ellis and his young friends being stripped, humiliated and probed for their captors science experiments.

James Naughton (Cat's Eye)

Given my comments above, you won't be surprised that there are not many nude scenes in the film adaptations of King's stories.   Most of them actually, have been the television productions produced in the last few years.  I think there has been more King inspired nudity on cable television than on film. I did find a few hunky men in my Journey through King's world, and some I first discovered due to their work in his films.  I knew who James Caan was, but really began following his career after Misery.  I hadn't heard of James NaughtonJohn Stockwell or Daniel Hugh Kelly, until seeing them in King films. I had to google and post about them after seeing them in Cat's Eye (Naughton) Christine (Stockwell) and Cujo. (Kelly)  Below are a list of the King inspired posts on FH plus a few new ones created for today's tribute to King.

John Stockwell (Christine)


David Strathairn (Dolores Claiborne)

In addition to the pieces above, I also created several new pieces celebrating some of my favorite of King's Main Men:  Check out: 

David Strathairn, Actors & Skin (HERE: & HERE:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t forget Lucas Bryant and Eric Balfour from the FX series Haven, which was based on a King story called “The Colorado Kid.”

Tye said...

Thanks, and you're right! I completely forgot about Haven!