Thursday, December 22, 2022

Nolan Dean: Hiss


It was over a decade ago that I discovered the visual brilliance of artist Nolan Dean and featured his imagery many times over the years.  When I saw recently saw these shots on Nolan's Instagram, I  had to ask him about sharing them on the site. As a kid growing up playing hockey, they brought back so many memories.  Although I've never skated naked, I did spend countless hours on frozen lakes during the winter.  

My favorite time to go was just after supper.  It was dark except for the one light cascading the frozen water.  If you got there at the right time it was also pretty quiet.  Kids came in the day, adults came later.  Often, early in the evening, you had the lake to yourself.  It was beautifully quiet, the only sound the hissing as your blades hit the ice.  These images brought back those memories, those quiet evenings, and that comforting hissing sound.

No comments: