Monday, July 23, 2018

A Year In the Life: 1999


When I was a boy growing up in the 80's, our cable included an NBC channel from New England. I remember they used to have Science Fiction Sunday's. Sunday mornings, starting at about 7a.m, they ran a lot of old science fiction shows including many from the 70's. The 70's line-up included Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers and Space 1999. I didn't really get into Space 1999, but I remember thinking how cool, but also how far away 1999 seemed to be.


Flash forward 15 years later, and I'm in my early twenties, finishing university and starting my first full time job. I don't remember anything too futuristic about 1999 except the fear at school and work that everyone's computer was going to crash at midnight on New Year Eve. I remember getting home in the middle of morning and logging on (dialing up) and after listening to the usual dial up noises, the computer worked perfectly fine. I think I was disappointed.


If Favorite Hunks had been on-line in 1999, I would have been covering shirtless boy bands, soap stars taking (a little off) for Playgirl, R.I.P for John F Kennedy Jr, George Clooney leaving ER and more than likely tons of posts on the hunks from 90210, Roswell, Felicity and Dawson's Creek .I am sure I also would have written about the rise of Ricky Martin and questioning whether any of the Friends actors could really be considered a hunk.


Speaking of 90210, I did a 'naked' salute to nude scenes of the show' male cast members on page 2, HERE: & HERE:

Shirtless boy bands: A little tame skin for teen girls eyes and some gay men's rise.

The movies were a smorgasbord with some of the hottest hunks of 90's baring their butts on screen. Although Brad Pitt (below) bared his butt a few times earlier in the 90's in 12 Monkey's and a bit of side butt in Legends of the Fall, I think there was more skin from Pitt in the promotional shots for Fight Club, than the film itself. Check out more of 1999' hottest male skin in the piece below.

Below: Pitt by Steven Klein for W Magazine (July, 1999)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NICE POST. I liked clicking on the 90210 section and seeing the nudity by the 4 main guys.