Sunday, September 2, 2018

Taking the Bait: Glaucus & the Fisherman by Richard Rothstein


As the strong, strapping fisherman pulled the net, and Glaucus within it towards him, the excited merman was praying this wouldn't be just a catch and release. It wasn't. For the next few hours, the merman and the handsome net caster played together along the shore, rolling in sand and waves and exploring each other's bodies and the feel of scale on skin.


As the darkness began to fade, and sun began to rise, Glaucus knew he had to return to safety of the sea. It wouldn't be long before the beach, and park behind it, became crowed with people who wouldn't look so kindly on the newly formed bond between mortal and merman. As Glaucus headed out into the water, his fisherman again pulled him towards him, this time not with a net, but with his strong, comforting arms.


How does this fairly tale end?  Do Glaucus and the hunky fisherman live happily ever after? I began the story wth part 1, but for part 2, I'll leave it to Richard Rothstein's images to finish the fable. I will tell you Glaucus' journey is one of the first stories in Richard's focus on celebrating living out out loud and expressing his childhood fantasies from a homoerotic perspective.


Growing up, most of us crushed over the handsome prince, but those pesky princes seemed only interested in bedding fair maidens. If there was a gay character, he was usually the King's fool or the over the top villain, usually written as cartoonish, and usually not the least bit sexual.


'After having barely survived the arrogance and dominance of the the heteronormative narrative that dominates our society and dominates art. Mermaids. Pooh. I want mermen. I want a beautiful young twink Snow White kissed and swept away by a glorious prince on a white stallion (not mare). I want Prince Phillip awakening me with a kiss after the witch’s curse threw me into a coma.'


'I want gay Hercules vanquishing evil evangelicals and Islamist extremists. I want a twunk Goldilocks encountering three great big burly and hair muscle bears. And I want a lustful big bad wolf blowing three little pigs. That’s the new normal and I’m going to be part of the wave with my photography.'



Glaucus: Sergey Shepard
The hunky Fisherman: Rob Eco

No comments: