Thursday, February 25, 2021

A Man of Substance: Max by RMark Photography


'As Max's body developed more muscle, he became more confident, and comfortable in his skin.'


Whenever I feature the work of RMark Photography, I'm always struct the artistry and elegance with Roger's use of classic physique poses.  There's a reason these poses became classic, they highlight both a model's inner and outer strengths.  The inner, the muscle and physical attributes, both which help illuminate the outer, the shapes and curves uniquely created by the male form. 


Whenever I think of these classic poses, I think of statues of Greek God, and Michelangelo's David.  Many of these poses from Max were inspired by Michelangelo, but of this shoot, the inspirations came from the many poses painted by the artist on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.


For me, a model channelling classic physique poses must have both confidence, and physical substance.  Many of today's male models are slender and lean great for fashion, but not necessarily right to embody the men on Michelangelo's masterpiece.  When I saw Roger's images images of Max, I saw substance, strong arms, great chest and arms, and a magnificent round butt, more than worthy of capturing permanently in an art piece.


It's interesting that when the Savannah photographer first met and photographed Max, his new model shared with him that his body wasn't in top form.  Max had injured his arms, and had not been able to work out as much as he usually did.


'Max and I got together to shoot about every six or seven months. Each time I photographed him, his body showed the evidence of having worked out quite a bit.  As his body developed more muscle, he became more confident, and comfortable in his skin. '


As his confidence grew, Max became more and more relaxed, and although he started out rather quiet, but the end, was throwing out creative suggestions and ideas.  Some of these were humorous poses and idea's for themes.  Roger shared some of these lighter shots, but I wanted to stick with the classic poses for this piece.  I have tucked away some of the shots to share int he future.



No comments: