Saturday, August 26, 2023

Au Revoir Riverdale


'I don’t know how to do this… to just pretend like everything’s the same as it was before.'
Archie Andrews


I didn't watch the finale of Riverdale this week, in fact I haven't watched in years, but I still felt  a farewell piece was definitely in order.   I was so excited when I first heard about the new show back in 2016.  So excited, I did post about the casting months before the show even hit the air. (HERE:


As a kid, I loved me some Archie double digests, especially during the summer.  When I saw some of the actors cast, and especially after seeing those promotional on-set shots of Archie's abs, I was counting down until the 2017 January premiere. 

KJ Apa

I wasn't disappointed, those who remember the pilot know it was very well done.  It began with a great mystery, and introduced a talented cast of talented, and incredibly hot, upcoming stars.  Led by the delicious KJ Apa as Archie, I also especially liked Lili Reinhart as Betty and Casey Cott as Kevin.  One of the executive producers was also Greg Berlanti, who was responsible for many shows I previously enjoyed.  My favorite projects from Berlanti included; Dawson's Creek, Brothers & Sisters and the short-lived Political Animals

Charles Melton

Early into season 2 however, my interest quickly began to wane  There seemed to be no long term direction, and the stories were starting to get confusing and silly.  The show was set in high school, yet less and less of the show was taking place there.  My biggest issue however, was the problem with Kevin.

Cole Sprouse

With Berlanti as a producer, I expected more.  he had a part in so many gay characters I previously loved. Fully fledged out characters like Jack from Dawson's Creek, and another Kevin, the middle brother from Brothers & Sisters.   Given Riverdale was also created by, produced by, and often written by the also openly gay Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, their treatment of the character of Kevin was really inexcusable. 

Casey Cott

In season one, Kevin was part of the core cast, involved with all of the other main cast members.  In season two, the producers clearly wanted to focus on the core four, and Kevin, and most of the supporting cast members, were pushed to the side.  It was more however, than Kevin's role being diminished, the writing for Kevin was both bad, and even offensive at times.  One of his main stories included making tickle videos on-line, a silly story, that wasn't even really given any attention, other than a C story to fill time.

Cott & Drew Ray Tanner

I would have criticized the writing of Kevin no matter who was running the show, but with Aguirre-Sacasa and Berlanti at the helm, it was even harder to stomach.  I still watched for awhile, but by the end of season two, I was pretty much out.  I watched a few season 3 episodes, and a handful after that, but was basically out.  Although the show still attempted to lure in a gay audience, with lots of skin, much like a David DeCoteau film, even when the DVD case was hot, inside, there wasn't really much interesting going on.


Still, I followed the show, even hate watching for awhile.  I think I followed the actors more on social media, than the show itself. They all, led by Apa, had shirtless shots and magazine covers, and promos eye candy filled promos for the show.  Eventually however, I lost interest even in those.  But oh, did I enjoy them for awhile.  FH was filled for a few years with posts on the show, hot images the cast, and my thoughts on the show.  

I do feel the need however, to take a look back, have some closure.  One day, maybe give it a go on Netflix.  The show hit the air with a bang, but sputtered out with little to no fanfare.  I'll keep my eye on the cast though, especially Apa, Melton and Cott who all impressed me at different times during the shows run.  Au Revoir Riverdale!

No comments: