Friday, June 1, 2012

Revealed: AJ (Part II) by Marlen Boro


'AJ is one of those guys who never really seems aware of his own beauty. Funny, because he's worked as a go-go boy and I'm sure he didn't want for compliments. But there's something indisputable about seeing images in the camera... When my client sees himself sexier than he ever imagined - this wave of confidence is found - and the images are better as a result.'


In my last installment of The Gentlemen of Marlen Boro, (Mane Man)Marlen introduced FH readers to AJ, a model he has recently worked with on a couple of occasions.


If your a regular reader of the blog, you might have noticed that when I present a shoot or a model, my preference is to lay out the images to create a bit of a reveal. A reveal of body of course, but also the reveal of story, and what is beyond the surface of what you are looking at. Although I suspect it makes little difference, I choose to do this for a couple of reasons. One of my goals for FH is to relay story. It often seems if you start with a frontal, that is where story, for many, often ends. The men within the images and the artists behind them often seem to become irrelevant once you present the money shot.


My goal is to build viewers anticipation and create interest in the model and the photographer with a post that has a clear beginning, middle and end. Without these, there is no story, there is just the cover of the book. I question at times (especially with Marlen who shoots so many incredible money shots) how successful I am but that is my goal. I am sure it odd for many photographers when I e-mail requesting more portrait and clothed shots when I don't feel the piece has a balance of looks and images.


I e-mailed Marlen this week about AJ as pretty much all of the images I had for the second part of the piece were full frontal. Marlen was off to New York for work, and time was an issue, so I pulled a few images from the first post and dropped a couple of the frontal images. I often wonder how many people pop into FH each day for the story, and how many for the money shots to click and save for their tumblrs... I guess as long as there are a few looking for both there remains some worth within the reveal.



1 comment:

DavidAsset said...

I don't usually like erection shots but these are terrific. I particularly like that they are not full hard-ons pointing up. Rather they seem caught at a candid moment in time. Very sensual.