Friday, September 12, 2008

Favorite Filmaker of the Day: Rob Stewart



A couple of weeks ago I watched 'Sharkwater' a documentary by filmaker Rob Stewart. I was blown away by the movie and the plight of one of the ocean's most fasinating creatures. I was shocked that unlike almost every animal that roams the earth, there is little to no protection for this ocean beauty. Stewart began the movie by trying to debunk some of the myths about the shark and I was amazed to learn how few people actually die from shark attacks. It appears we still cannot get "Jaws" out of our heads. This beautifully shot movie goes around the globe, and not only showcasing some amazing nature shots and underwater photography but Rob streamlines the film through his journey which plays like a cross between a documentary and a traditional movie storyline. Sometimes this creates confusion, as it is obvious some shots are set up for effect, but ultimately the goal of the movie is to educate us on what is happening to the shark, and the horrors which could occur if the top of the oceans food chain disappear forever. Some unsettling scenes of how the sharks are treated are disturbing, but also needed.



Now of course, this is my Favorite Hunks Blog, so although I do not want to take anything away for the power and message of 'Sharkwater', I must admit that after watching this film, besides filled with thoughts on what I can do or how much I can send to help the cause, I was also filled with several fantasy's of the delicious film maker. For some reason I don't think Rob would mind this, in fact, I have a feeling it might have been a small part of his intent while filming. This 29 year old Canadian began filmaking at an early age, beginning with underwater photography. He went on to spent 4 years as chief photographer for the Canadian Wildlife Federation. In addition, Rob is an award-winning freelance photojournalist.



As I stated, I don't think Rob would mind if the viewer of his film was attracted to him, in fact I think he wants us to be. Rob is a hot guy, and seems to know it. I say this as a compliment, as to me it seemed he wants his audience to develop a small crush on him, and then follow him on his journey. It was quite an effective technique for making this film. As one of the opening shots in the film is Rob coming out of the ocean shirtless walking towards the camera on a lonely beach. The movie is riddled with sexy shots of Rob, shirtless, in his scuba suit and in his speedo. The end sequences of Rob in his speedo swimming with the oceans beauties was very erotic, and I cannot help but think this was intentional. Even the movies official web site is filled with pictures of Rob that look more like modeling shots than traditional promotional shots you might see for another filmaker.



I must say, this way of bringing us in to the film was very effective. Within a couple of minutes of the film beginning, I had a little crush on Rob and wanted to follow him on his journey. Seeing the shark and it's plight through his eyes, only made the pain and horror of the situation that much more effective. Great movie Rob, and great storytelling! You had me at second you came out of the water and held me to the end. You sent me to the SavingSharks website, and had me make a donation! Looking forward to future films.









Check Out:
SharkWater Official Site:
Rob Stewart Photography:
Saving Sharks:

No comments: