Friday, January 19, 2018

Chiseled


Whenever I feature a model, as I did today with Joe, (in the piece below) with classical good looks and a beautifully framed face and jaw, I use the same two descriptive words within the text. Chiseled and sculpted have become my 'go to' words to describe a strong, often square shaped face. When thinking it about today, I realized there is one man who personifies this look for me, an actor who's face flashes through my mind whenever I use those words.


It's funny, I really haven't really seen much of Christopher Reeve on film. I have seen parts  of the Superman films when they have played on TV, but not one all the way through. I did find a copy of Deathtrap to prepare for today's post, and I keep meaning to watch some of his other films that I have read about, most notably Somewhere In Time and Monsignor.. Other than a couple of his TV appearances late his career, my connection to Reeve has been mostly through images.


That didn't mean Reeve didn't have an influence on me. Growing up in the eighties, Reeve's image, especially as Clark Kent and as Superman were everywhere in magazines and newspapers. I knew the face before I knew the man.  The look and shape of his face grew to define what I thought of us 'classically good looking'. .


I was still in school when Reeve had his accident, but I remember it having a strong impact on me, especially thinking of something so horrible occurring to someone many thought of as invincible. 


For me, Reeve was both handsome and sexy, yet at the same time, not necessarily sexual. Maybe it was because I was so young at the time, but I was not really that attracted to Reeve physically. I was drawn to him however, his face, his eyes, his aura. There have been several men in my live that I have been strongly drawn to for reasons beyond sexual attraction but I think Reeve may have been the first.


As I have grown older, I can see and understand Reeve's sexual appeal has gone stronger but his appeal remains more one of fascination and a visual interest in his physical beauty. I have read quite a bit about his life, and despite his Superman physique, Reeve struggled at times with his appearance, and dealing with being so 'visually handsome' all of the time. Reeve also struggled with clothing, finding it difficult to find clothes that fit him right given that he was broad at the top, but narrower down below. 

Somewhere In Time 1980

The fact that this man, so perfectly sculpted, had body issues is weirdly comforting.  I have saved images of Reeve for awhile, looking for a reason to post them.  Thinking about him today, especially in the contest of how his looks have defined in some ways my idea of male beauty, there was no better time.

Reeve in Love of Life (1974-1976)



On the set of Superman

Reeve by Francesco Scavullo

No comments: