Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Saddle Up


'Can an old-fashioned cowboy and a young man on the run from his dark past find a future together? Herschel is a simple rancher who believes everybody deserves a second chance, which is why he tends to hire underdogs—like Dalton, a young cowboy who needs all the support and TLC Herschel can offer.'


Sometimes, when I'm struggling to find the right title for a post, I go on Amazon, or GoodReads and do a book title search. When putting together Lancaster County by NMS, I was on the hunt for several titles for different posts. Just as I discovered with my 'Alien' post a couple of weeks ago, I discovered cowboy romance novels, gay cowboys in particular, were incredibly popular.


My love of the male form in images isn't restricted to only photographs, I love great art, regardless of the medium.  I have always loved book covers, I went through most of my early school years without the internet, but a great book cover could stimulate and trigger my imagination for hours.  I remember sitting down to read many of my assigned English novels, only to get lost in the cover before reading even a single word.


Since beginning FH, every few months or so, I feature a cowboy.  Well.. not always actual cowboys,  maybe just a hot model shot in a barn in assless chaps.  The western theme, and especially the cowboy, has been one of the many recurring symbols of masculinity that artists are inspired by.


Cowboys have all the classic themes needed for a lusty fantasy.  Hard work, long days sweating under the hot sun.  Even longer nights  in a cold bunk house, surrounded by only other horny ranch hands.  Loneliness, isolation, not to mention all that denim and leather combine for one hell of a ride.


Below: Artwork by George Quaintance

Below: Artwork by Michael J. Breyette

No comments: