Sunday, September 8, 2019

Back Issues: Playgirl, Inaugural Edition


'We must admit that some of the letters we received regarding the initial issue tended to be a little negative, but we feel that persons who are so quick to judge a new publication on it's first issue are, for the most part, the type of person who stands on a soap-box and tells all what is wrong with the world today, but never offers any solution.'
Publisher: Playgirl


Whoa, snap back from Willard and G.R, the two male publishers of the first issue of Playgirl.  I always thought a 'first' issue was all about judging, sampling, and checking it out to see if you may want to invest in more.  Seems ole Willard and G.R were a little offended with the feedback they received.  They never could have handled publishing today with the Internet barking back on every decision made.

Strip Chess:


The Hager Twins

Sons of a Methodist minister, the brothers grew up in a Chicago suburb displaying an interest in music that had Jim picking out rhythms on a toy ukulele at the unlikely age of four.


I had never heard of the Hager Twins until a blog reader recently sent me on a shot from their centerfold in Playgirl's first issue.  Although they had a few records, Jim and Jon Hager were never blessed with a hit.  Their claim to fame was there regular appearances on the popular country music show Hee Haw.  I don't think I ever watched Hee Haw, but I sort of remember it being on early Saturday nights when I was a kid.


I was hoping to find some 'alternate' shots, or 'extra's from their Playgirl centerfold shoot below, but sadly, the published image was all I could find.  There is something quite hot about the two country music brothers in the image, and it made me wonder what went into their decision to appear in this new 'nudie' magazine coming out for women.  I guess with the audience being women, it would be considered a natural fit.  Many other country hunks went on to appear in the magazine over it's run, as long as the magazine was for 'women' and they didn't actually show the goods, it would be accepted, even by the more conservative audience tuning in for Hee Haw.

No comments: